Sunday, January 4, 2015

Elizabeth: "I chose."

This is a story that was emailed to me. I love it. She made wise choices to protect her children and let them speak. ~ Evie

An email from Elizabeth:
It was four years ago today when I was changing my sick infants diaper that my oldest age 6 told me that her and Daddy had a secret.  My response was that we don’t keep secrets in this family. I guess I should have said I don’t keep secrets in this family. Trusting child that she was she told me her secret and I froze. That’s when Kurt came home; he had been at the store getting medicine for the baby before he had to go to work. He came up stairs handed me the medicine, got dressed for work kissed my forehead and said I love you and walked out the door, I was silent the entire time. Those were the last words he ever spoke to me.  For an hour I stumbled around the house.  I loaded the dishwasher, folded some clothes, and contemplated packing bags for me and my kids and driving from Ga to Wa. Instead I called a local friend and told her that she had to come over or I had to come see her. She said to come over, she later told me that she thought I had found out Kurt had cheated on me, that detail didn’t sink in til almost a year later. The first thing she asked after I got the courage to spit out the words was “are you going to stay?” Honestly that thought never crossed my mind. I fought hard to keep my oldest alive as a premature infant. I lost all but one of my friends and a few role models when I choose to keep her instead of giving her up for adoption. I was NOT going to tell her when she grew up that my love for her Daddy was more important than her safety. My friend contacted CPS, they talked to me over the phone and an hour or so later I found out Kurt had been arrested. 3 hours later they had a written confession from him. He went to jail that very night. I gave the police everything they asked for, coming in and writing down what happened that day, going to CPS to have my oldest and her almost 3 year old sister video recorded interviews so that they could get any evidence they could. I hid at my friends house for a month, god bless her for taking us in like that.  I never spent another night in the house we had shared. I moved my and the kids stuff out and into a new apartment. We were divorced within 3 months and when the school year was over we moved to CA and in with my parents. It took a year from his arrest to the trial. My daughter and I both had to testify. I wasn’t allowed to be in the court room when she had to testify. Kurt’s parents came to support him. They asked for liency after he was found guilty. I told them that they could have contact with Kurt OR the children not both. I haven’t talked to either one since that day. Even if the judge wanted to be lienet the minimum sentence was 25 years with no chance of early parole. I am grateful for this for a few reasons. One because by the time he gets out my children will be 31, 27 and 25 year old adults. They will have established their personalities and have done a lot of growing without him and if he chooses to try and contact them, they will be at the point where they can make that decision from an adults prospective rather than a child who wants a father or a teen who is searching for identity. Another reason I am grateful is because it gives me no opportunity to rethink my decision. Because even though I didn’t even think about staying and I have had absolutely no contact with him, I still love him and that is so hard for me. Some days I wish for the life I had before the secret. I had an involved parent in my children’s life, I had an understanding partner who helped around the house and helped me find my self-respect. I had some one who loved me and listened to me. We had dreams of a future. We rarely fought. And now all that is gone. I lived 3 years with my parents who after a while weren’t so quiet about not liking that there were 3 children in the house. My mom and I have a fragile relationship and living with her again torn at me. I am not allowed to talk about feeling or even show sadness. So trying to make sense of this situation was impossible for I had to push everything into a box and tape it shut. I am currently living with a friend as they are going through a divorce but it’s hard, because some days all I can see was the life I was suppose to have, the one we planned, and how it’s not the one I am living.  Now I have to decide each year if I tell my children’s teachers at the beginning of the year or wait for something to be said (so far every year something has been said). I have to explain to adults that my children are allowed to talk about what happened and they are not to shame or make my kids feel guilty for talking about it. I’ve had to explain to my oldest that when you tell people personal stuff that you have to trust that person to keep it to them-selves or risk them telling everyone (which has also happened). I have to trust that the teachers won’t look at my daughter any differently after they find out (which has not always happened).  I’ve had to figure out a way to explain to my younger two where their Daddy is, and why it’s a good thing that he’s there in a way that is age appropriate and without going into detail and still respecting my daughters privacy. I’ve had to deal with people getting offended when I won’t tell them why my ex is no longer in our lives.  I’ve had to deal with well-intentioned therapist who just didn’t know how to connect to my daughter. This isn’t the life I choose. No, that’s not true. I could have stayed, I could have told my daughter she was lying, or just ignored what she said or confronted Kurt and “worked it out”, I could have left with out reporting it and then wonder if I would ever go back.  I chose to report him. I chose to work with the police. I chose to let my daughters make video interviews so that when the caseworker was a victim of a DUI murder, there was still hard evidence that could be used to convict Kurt. I chose to testify. I chose not to contact Kurt. I chose not to have contact with his family if they were going to contact him. I chose. I chose my children. That’s a choice I would make again.

7 comments:

  1. "I chose my children. That’s a choice I would make again." She made the right decision and seemingly without doubting herself at the time. It is all so painful, isn't it? you were so strong and should feel good about standing up for your children and putting them first over all other considerations.

    And dealing with it is never ending. Thinking about the life she was supposed to have and remembering what life used to be like makes it so difficult to live happy today. I read something helpful recently about comparing it to crossing the monkey bars....we have to let go and grab on to the next thing or we will fall. In other words, we have to let go of what was and will never be again so that we can open ourselves to what is next and build an even better life. The key is to realize and remember that "what was" was just a facade. We really cannot go back because it wasn't really what we thought it was. It was dirty and wrong.




    ReplyDelete
  2. Alienating his parents is a little harsh, imo. Is he not allowed to have anybody help him to rehabilitate? Did he not sign a confession within hours? Do they deserve to lose their grandchildren because they also love their son?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to the situation this is a painful "forced choice" everyone must make or lose the children into foster care forever, Mother-in-laws (who after all are mothers too) often choose their own sons and in doing so alienate their daughters-in-law and by that choice alienate themseves from contact with grandchildren they love. Children already traumatized and being cared for by their own mothers don't need to be torn apart by "double messages" nor will the courts and social workers allow children to be put at risk of further molest by visiting anywhere they might be re-harmed. Due to the situation any mother who chooses her husband is seen as choosing not to protect her children. Just as the husband's mother often can't bear to chose her grandchildren or daughter in law over her own son no matter what he did (or says he didn't do) .Alienation is often the painful reality after any sexual betrayal of the marriage (whether through adultery or incest) People separate because they no longer trust their partner and Choices bleed out to effect entire families often forever.(or at least until the youngest turns 18)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very Strong and Bold decision you made and I commend you on it.
    "I choose my children" this is a powerful statement. A lot of women can agree you made a solid decision because there are many weak women who would have done the opposite.
    So with that said I am praying for you that God will continue to keep you strong and bold every step of the way in your Journey may God bless you and the Beautiful children he has given you to be there Protector. Strength, peace, to your family and due season you will explain to the children the truth of the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happens when you choose both? I chose my son. I had my husband arrested and he has had no contact with my son (his step-son). My husband has admitted to his offenses and his parents are aware of his abuse, but have been diligent in maintaining a relationship with their grandson. My husband will be released soon and, while I don't anticipate a fantasy reunion, we are looking into reunification. So can you make life work when you choose both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are enabling a child predator. You are teaching your son that his step fathers puppy stories is worth more than his safety. The courts are never going to allow this; if you are doing this, its not with the blessing of the law. These are just more secrets the child will have to keep, and more emotional, or sexual pain you are putting on him. You could not protect him before you knew, but now you know better. Its obvious you do not truly love your child. You are just trying to force your child to submit to your feelings, and law enforcement is going to believe you are a sexual predator yourself.
      Are you going to have sex with this man, and I wonder, if he thinks of your son when he is in you? He is never going to tell you this, because he is a predator and now, he has your child back. Thanks to you. When you are older, your child with cut all contact with you.

      This was written in 2015 and I hope you made the correct choice.

      Delete