Friday, April 4, 2014

A friend's wedding

I went to a friend's wedding last week. The bride and groom had their ushers pass their rings throughout the audience so each guest could hold them in their hands and place a silent blessing or wish on them. When it reached me, my mind fumbled for an appropriate wish that would encompass my complicated feelings on marriage. I finally settled on this: "I hope your spouse really is the person you think they are."

It was a sad and pathetic wish, I know, but if that had been true in my marriage . . . ah, the potential for happiness and comfort! But instead, I doubt that such a marriage exists.

For the new couple, though, and for every marriage, I still make the wish with all sincerity.

What would you wish upon the rings?

2 comments:

  1. May,kindness, consideration, transparency and truth grow to sustain each in their long marriage together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. Honesty. Truth. Kindness. Support. Happiness. Friendship. Health.

    I'm still a pollyanna at heart.

    ReplyDelete