Sunday, March 9, 2014

To Anonymous, you're in good company

In reply to the anonymous commenter from the post about bullying . . .



We all parent differently and we will all raise flawed children - that's just the truth of it. My beliefs about parenting are obviously different from yours and I’m okay with that. I didn’t start this blog to fight with other parents. Janet and I see issues like bullying and parenting styles as ways to address deeper social issues that contribute to the social problems of which we have fallen victims. I think it is highly valuable to explore these aspects of the bigger picture . . . 

HOWEVER, I think this particular conversation with you shouldn't be about bullying or parenting styles. That's not why you came here. You are here because you need the company of women who have been through what you are going through, which includes Janet and myself and many other women reading these posts. Maybe not every woman who comes here has children, but most of us do. Most of us have been left as single parents long before we ever thought about divorce. I am sadly confident that we all know what it is like being at the end of our ropes with more responsibilities than we can handle and only rage inside. We know what it's like to be sick of the sight of social workers and cops. And we know what it is like to be drained of all funds and dealing with  more crap than we deserve. I can empathize, I can. 

Sadly, I don't think there is anything I can say to ease your burdens. I can't advise you on how to navigate this impossible life you've ended up with. I just hope you continue to be here and realize that there are many of us here with you. If you can’t get a therapist to listen, then we’ll do that job. So please keep venting to us and continue to let the rage out. We’re listening. 

In fact, I welcome every woman who sympathizes to let their rage out on this blog (only please be sure to rage at those who truly deserve it and never pass it on to the undeserving, like the other women here).  Let’ scream it to the internet and let it resonate forever in its code. I really effin like that idea. 

Anonymous, I think we can both agree on many things in this life, including the desire to raise good kids, even if we can’t agree how to make that work. You are welcome here to express yourself and take what you need. Leave whatever doesn’t work for you behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment