Sunday, March 25, 2012

Down Day

Sabrina spent most of last night puking. She's doing better now, but we're both weary. My body still hurts from work last week and I start again tomorrow. I was saddened after hearing several of my coworkers having a very racist conversation on Friday and it is still bugging me. The pastor's wife suggested I need anti-depressants. My confidence is very low right now, so maybe she's right. I called my in-laws this morning and stuck my foot in my mouth several times. Then I called my own parents who had to reassure me that they still like me after I burst into tears when they gave me honest criticism.

This is not my best day ever. And it's not even noon.

I'm going to make a chocolate cheesecake:

Crust
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 TBS sugar
1/4 cup chopped almonds (optional)

Blend ingredients. Press into bottom and sides of a 9-in pan.

Filling
3 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup strong coffee
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 unsweetened cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in coffee and vanilla, mix well. Beat in cocoa just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared crust. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes (mine seems to take longer) or until center is almost set. Remove from oven. Increase temperature to 425 degrees. Combine topping ingredients (below). Spread over cheesecake. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 10 minutes more or until done. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge. Cool for 1 more hour. Chill overnight.

Topping (optional)
1 cup sour cream
2 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sliced almonds. 

Alternative serving method: Cool as long as you can stand it and then start munching on warm cheesecake while drinking chilled white wine. That's my plan.

1 comment:

  1. Hello again, Evie! I missed your blog entries. Congrats on the job. I agree with your analysis of the job market these days. I may find myself needing a job in the future... I don't look forward to the hunt. Glad to hear you have the support of your church.
    I pray for you and your family....

    ReplyDelete