Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hold Your Head Up

So I have a few minutes before I head out to see my therapist and I'm contemplating myself, which is what you do before you go tell a therapist all about your life.

Something Big Rev said about my mother-in-law has me thinking. He thinks she refuses to go to church because she feels like other people are looking down their noses at her. I don't think they are, but that is a perfectly natural way to feel, right?

Another wife of a sex offender has mentioned in her blog that she feels discriminated against because of her husband's past crimes (for which he's completed his sentence for). A scary, yet believable idea.

I worry about the future. If I allow Jake back into our lives in any form, that will be hard for other people to understand. I worry that other kids will someday tell my daughters that their daddy is a pervert. What will I do when the local newspaper prints his mug shot on the front page once a year?

Well, I've learned to set aside some of those concerns. I drink lots of Yogi Stress Relief tea. I practice compartmentalizing all my anxieties. It's been a tough road, but I've learned a lot of good things about myself.
 I can hold my head high because I know I'm a good person who speaks honestly and attempts to make the world a better place.

I believe others see your true character despite the situations, if you let them. They'll never see it if you hide away. So I hope all the other people who are caught in this type of situation will assess themselves honestly and then step out into the public view and trust that others will see their true nature. Don't be paranoid, just be you.

And maybe lean on someone, like a therapist, until you feel confidant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment